Saturday, January 3, 2009

10 Movies I have to See '09

Ok, we saw the year that was. Let's see what lies ahead.

1) The Boat that Rocked

Continuing my fetish for all things Kenneth Branagh , we now get to see him in a negative role as an authority figure trying to shut down a radio station being run out of a boat. Based on a true story.

2)X-men origins: Wolverine
In my college room [that would Room no.4, Lords Hostel for Boys] there were a number of posters, among them was one of a hand with three claws tearing out through the knuckles, blood oozing. In the corner it said Wolverine: Origins. This is the movie. Snikt!!

3)Star Trek

I am a fan of Lost. A loyalist. So it is natural that I scoop up anything Lost creator J J Abrams throws at me. I thought MI 3 was a neat action flick with a stellar cast[ one thing I feel is important in big budget action flicks], His next directorial effort is a reboot of Star Trek. I enjoyed the trailor and come opening day, my behind will be there.

4)Watchmen

Its called the best graphic novel of all time. I haven't read it. Why? I am waiting for the movie. Why would I read something that gives away the ending of the movie, rt? Not rt. I need to get over my fear of spoilers.The book is alwys better than the movie.Who watches The Watchmen? I do. Will.

5)Shutter Island

After the Departed anything that Marty touches had be obsessed over and seen pronto. I really like the premise of two detectives sent to investigate a murder on an island sanitarium with the killer on the loose in the island. Oh, theres also this tornado coming

6)Sherlock Holmes

Guy Ritchie reinvents Sir Doyle's Holmes , in the form of a Boxing, pipe smoking suave Robert Downey Jr. Jude law accompanies him as Dr. Watson. Apparently Moriarty is being held back for a sequel.

7)Chandini Chowk to Chowk

This could go either way, but the trailer had me in splits with lines like "Chinese bhaiyon Saavdhaan" " Ganpathi bappa, tum aa gaye ho, noor aa gaya hain" & "Yeh log sindhi main kya bol rahein hain, Dada Hojo"

8)Inglorious Basterds


Quentin Tarantino finally gets off his ass and directs his long talked about WWII pic. Brad Pitt stars along with an eclectic host of actors. This has must see written all over it.

9)Delhi-6


Rakeysh Om Prakash Mehra returns after RDB with the tale of an NRI returning to INdia( Swades??) and discovering puraani dilli .

10)Brooklyn's Finest



3 cops investigating the same crime from different angles.Are they remaking LA Confidential already?? Antoine Fuqua directs with Richard Gere, Don Cheadle and Ethan Hawke starring. Color me intrigued.

11) Everthing from the Judd Apatow Camp


Ok, I need to learn to count. There are around 3 movies coming from these guys that I am looking forward to. Observe & Report- Seth Rogen plays a Mall Cop out to catch a Flasher, I love You, Man- Paul Rudd's hunt for a best man for his wedding leads to Jason Segal [This flick looks amazing] & Funny People- Judd Apatow's next directorial effort, I dont know what its about, but I am soo there.

Other movies that look Interesting: Edge of Darkness, G. I . Joe, Terminator Salvation, Sarkar Pt.3 : Vansh, Luck By Chance, Dev D, Sagar alias Jacky


Strangely most of these movies will release in the first half of the year. I guess I will have to come out with another list in June. Also Kenneth Branagh was supposed to be the villain in MI:III , but they scrapped that script and went a totally different way. And in a totally unrelated note, I am rooting for Suzanna Mukherjee in Roadies 6.0. She's a real sweetheart .

1 comment:

Ramya Ramadurai said...

i think sadeesh just read the watchmen. and was blown away. :)